Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc.
Effective Date: December 23, 2019
Last Updated: January 8, 2020
Please contact us as indicated in the “How to Contact ODFL” section below if you have any questions or would like additional information.
Who We Are
We are a leading, less-than-truckload (“LTL”), union-free motor carrier providing regional, inter-regional and national LTL services through a single integrated organization. Our service offerings, which include expedited transportation, are provided through an expansive network of service centers located throughout the continental United States. Through strategic alliances, we also provide LTL services throughout North America. In addition to our core LTL services, we offer a range of value-added services including container drayage, truckload brokerage and supply chain consulting.
Categories of Personal Information that ODFL Collects and Processes
ODFL collects personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) through certain areas of the Website. ODFL may collect and process the following categories of Personal Information:
|Professional||company details, address, email address, phone and fax number, postal and billing address, business contact, job role, education, ODFL account and order number, freight information, and freight recipient information and other data that enables ODFL to maintain a business relationship with you|
|Identifying||first and last name, ODFL username and password, government identification information as required in certain circumstances|
|Tracking||IP addresses, browser fingerprint information, device fingerprint (advertising)|
Where permissible by law, ODFL differentiates Personal Information from personal data that may be about an individual but may not be reasonably associated with a unique individual. ODFL may collect and aggregate such personal data, including your ZIP code, age, gender, preferences, interests and favorites, as well as non-personalized Website usage, measurement and other analytical data and information automatically sent by your web browser about your computer hardware and software (e.g. access time and referring website address). ODFL reserves all rights to use unidentifiable, anonymized, and non-Personal Information and data for any and all purposes in its discretion, where allowed by law or with your consent. Please check your browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
How we Collect Personal Information
We may collect Personal Information from Users in various ways, including, but not limited to when Users:
- visit our Website;
- register, submit or post information on our Website;
- request a service;
- respond to a survey, fill out a form; or
- participate in any of ODFL's events, promotions, activities, services, or other offers we make available on our Website.
Please do not submit any Personal Information of another person unless you are authorized to do so.
On certain areas of the Website, only persons who provide us the required Personal Information will be able to purchase, license and/or apply for products, programs and services and/or otherwise participate in the Website’s activities or offerings.
Purposes for Collecting and Processing your Personal Data
ODFL may process your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To operate and administer this Website, including personalizing its features based on your preferences;
- To provide you with our services and products according to agreed terms and as per your request, thus enabling a good customer experience;
- To carry out specific transactions, bookings, deliveries, payment processing, and tracking functions, and for maintaining our contractual and business relationship with our customers and/or vendors, including for maintaining a routine administrative flow and a routine contractual relationship with our customers and vendors and their representatives;
- To operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising; analyzing and enhancing our products, services and the Website; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- To respond to and support our Users, and communicate with you regarding requests, questions, and comments.
- To communicate with you through tailored newsletters, emails, notifications, and other business communications in order to help you stay up to date with our service and product offerings and those of our affiliates, and to notify you of special events, contests, sweepstakes, and other promotions, unless you object to or opt-out of such communications;
- To communicate with you through all forms of online media, including via social media platforms;
- To contact you in order to conduct opinion research regarding current and/or potential new services that ODFL may offer;
- To enable you to establish and manage a User account on our platform;
- To monitor your use of our systems and Website to enable us to personalize your experience on our Website and to determine the popularity of various service offerings;
- To improve the security and functioning of our Website and systems, including by performing data analyses (market and consumer research, trend analysis, financial analysis);
- To manage anti-fraud, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, anti-identity theft, and anti-bribery efforts, and to comply with all other applicable legal requirements and our policies;
- For any purposes described at the point of collection of Personal Information, or for purposes for which you have provided prior approval;
Web Browser Cookies and Internet Tags
Our Website may use electronic cookies (“cookies”) to help personalize your online experience. Cookies are a text file that websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser or to store information or settings in the browser.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the web server that you have returned to a specific page. ODFL may also link certain data elements with other information we have obtained about you to let us know, for example, whether you have opened an account with us or contacted us before. We also may use third-party website analytics tools that collect information about User traffic at the Website.
In addition, ODFL uses information collected online through cookies, internet tags and other automated means for purposes such as diagnosing technical and service problems, administering the Website, identifying Users of the Website, and gathering demographic information about our Users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time Users spend on web pages of the Website, how users navigate through the Website, and how we may tailor the Website to better meet the needs of our Users. We also may use the information we obtain about Users in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict them. We believe that cookies and internet tags provide a safe and secure way to improve the usability of the Website.
www.ir.odfl.com uses only the following categories of cookies:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work without enabling the cookies. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
Sharing User's Personal Information
We also may disclose Personal Information about a User in the following circumstances:
- if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena);in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities;
- in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities;
- with your prior consent, and as required to perform services requested by you;
- when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm, fraud, or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; or
- in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
ODFL shares Personal Information with the following categories of vendors to support our business functions:
- Third party services providers and partners who provide data processing services to us.
- Law enforcement, government agency, regulator, court, or other public authority where we believe disclosure is necessary either (a) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (b) to exercise, establish, or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to prevent personal harm or financial loss.
- A third party that you have consented to disclosure of your Personal Information.
To perform certain services and to support our business functions, we share information with certain third parties, including your name and address, the destination name and address, and the type of shipment. Our third party vendors are bound by confidentiality obligations, contractually required to have reasonable technical and organizational controls in place to protect your Personal Information, and are authorized to use your Personal Information only as needed to perform services on ODFL's behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
How ODFL Protects User's Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the Personal Information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. In addition, we also implement appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your Personal Information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on the Website. If ODFL collects account information for payment or credit, ODFL will use the information only to complete the task for which the account information was offered. However, no information transmitted over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us via the Internet, and we accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on our Users. Where we have given a User (or where a User has chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, the User is responsible for keeping this password confidential. We encourage Users not share their password.
Third Party Links
The Website may contain links to websites operated by parties other than ODFL. Such links are provided for your reference and convenience only. We do not control such websites and are not responsible for their contents or the privacy policies or other practices of such websites. Our inclusion of links to such websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such websites or any association with their operators. Further, it is up to the User to take precautions to ensure that whatever links the User selects or software the User downloads (whether from this Website or other websites) is free of such items as viruses, worms, trojan horses, defects and other items of a destructive nature. These websites and services may have their own privacy policies, which the User will be subject to upon linking to the third party's website. ODFL strongly recommends that each User review the third party's terms and policies.
Compliance With Children's Online Privacy Protection Act
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, the Website is for Users over the age of 18. We never collect or maintain information at the Website from those we actually know are under the age of 18, and no part of the Website is structured to attract anyone under 18. If we are notified that we are in possession of Personal Information of an individual under the age of 18, we will take all reasonable steps to delete such information.
User's Choice to Opt-Out, Amend or Access Personal Information
You may choose not to receive marketing email communications from us by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link in our marketing emails. You also may ask us not to send you other marketing communications by contacting us as specified in the "How to Contact ODFL" section below, and we will honor your request.
Subject to applicable law, you may obtain a copy of Personal Information we maintain about you or you may update or correct inaccuracies in that information through your ODFL account at www.ODFL.com. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information. In addition, if you believe that Personal Information we maintain about you is inaccurate, subject to applicable law, you may have the right to request that we correct or amend the information by contacting us as indicated below.
Information for California Residents
ODFL does not take any specific actions in response to browser Do Not Track signals.
In compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), ODFL does not sell, trade, or rent our User’s Personal Information for compensation, nor have we done so in the preceding twelve months.
California residents are entitled to contact us to request information about whether we have disclosed Personal Information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Upon receipt of a request by a California consumer, and as required by California state law, we will provide a list of all third parties to whom Personal Information was disclosed in the preceding calendar year, as well as a list of the categories of Personal Information that were disclosed. California consumers may request further information about our compliance with this law by e-mailing us at the address listed below.
- Request that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected;
- Request that we disclose to you the categories of third-party sources from which we have collected Personal Data about you;
- Request that we not sell your Personal Information;
- Request that we disclose to you ODFL’s business or commercial purpose(s) for collecting your Personal Information;
- Receive a list of the categories of third-parties with whom ODFL shares your Personal Information;
- Request that we delete any Personal Information that we have collected from you (subject to exceptions);
California consumers can make a request for Personal Information by using one of the following methods:
- Calling our toll-free telephone number: 1-844-919-0383; or
- Using our online request form located at: Data Request Form
Before complying with your request, we may need to verify that it is actually you making the request. To accomplish this, we may request that you (1) confirm specific Personal Information that we already know about you, or (2) provide us with appropriate identification. California consumers are limited to two requests for Personal Information per twelve-month period.
Retention and Deletion
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to provide services to you, based on the nature of the information provided to us and the nature of services or the purpose for which the information was provided to us. Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, we may retain your Personal Information where such retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
How to Contact ODFL